Published February 1st 2013 by Sourcebooks Fire. I received a digital ARC of this story.
What a refreshing tale of female empowerment! Life suddenly gave Blaze a major downpour of lemons, and she made the BEST lemonade ever and it was hot pink. She's a heroine and a modern day superhero for teen girls... but she has no powers! That's the best part. Anyone can become Blaze. Aside from that, it had every component of a well-written story:
- the main character went on a journey/adventure
- the main character experienced personal growth
- the descriptions made me picture everything vividly
- the characters were well-developed
- the characters were likeable and relatable
- the pacing was great
- I experienced every emotion while reading the story
There were comic book-like descriptions and words throughout the book-POW! THWACK!-and there were even comic book panels related to the story. How fun!
I swear, for once in my life, I had absolutely no criticisms about a book. You may notice that I read a lot of books that have love stories (getting a case of the swoons is the best, right?!), and while this one had a little bit of that, it wasn't that central to the plot and that was perfectly fine with me.